Thursday, 20 July 2017

Guide and Outfit: Sewing Endeavours!

Hi there my lovelies, the time has come to finally introduce you to my first ever sewing project; a plaid midi skirt!  

Learning to sew has always been a longstanding aspiration of mine that I got around to fulfilling. a couple of months back I had been casually browsing the haberdashery section of Hobbycraft when my eyes fell upon an advertisement for sewing classes on the notice board. I instinctually looked over at my mother who gave me an encouraging nod and said 'go for it'. One of the chief driving forces for me to pursuit sewing is that as a muslim woman who has a rather quaint sense of style, I have always been limited in the selection of clothing based on affordability, availability and modesty. Learning to sew has opened up a whole new horizon where I can bring my designs that used to be strictly on paper, to life. I'm naturally still in the midst of learning this new skill, yet here are couple of tips that I feel have facilitated my sewing endeavours so far:

1) If you're familiar with the notion of having to be prompted to initiate the acquisition of a hobby like myself and find it both overwhelming and difficult to maintain the motivation for self instructing, consider joining a class. We live in a era where youtube can basically guide and teach us virtually everything, however sometimes commencing something entirely unfamiliar can be a little overwhelming and intimidating. Going old school and actually interacting with people who are all on the same square as you can make it less daunting and help form a bridge from complete inexperience to amateur to outright dressmaking genius (dreaming big), it accommodates for hiccups, readjustments, practical skills and an abundance of prototypes.

2) Figure out your pace, every person has an optimal environment and condition in which they thrive, some perform best in a slow paced relaxed atmosphere in which they can digest what they are learning. Others like myself blossom under pressure, I made a leap of progress when I made the foolishly valiant decision decision to take on 4 projects with a deadline of 4 weeks for when they were due. This meant that I couldn't solely rely on my poor sewing instructor Kate (who is a godsend.. check out her Instagram) to help me out of the hole I had managed to dig myself into. I had to take initiative and make progress at home, resulting in me becoming proficient much quicker knowing that I had the responsibility bearing on my shoulders to complete several Eid outfits or else suffer the dismay of several members of my family.

3) Treat yourself to a quality sewing machine! After dabbling into the art of sewing, if you can envision yourself sustaining the pastime of sewing for the foreseeable future, invest in a sewing machine. It takes the pressure off classes as you can always depend on the flexibility of finishing your task at home, in your own time, at your own pace. Mine is a wonderful midnight blue coloured beauty from John Lewis (curiously both resembles and functions like the costly Janome one...hint hint)!

4) If you feel a particular sewing pattern works well for you and can't purchase it, ask if you can trace the patterns onto greaseproof paper. That way you can amass a collection of patterns that you can refer back to.

5) There's absolutely no rule that you have to depend on one sewing pattern for a project... mix and match the bodice from one, the skirt and sleeves from other sewing patterns to create one whole masterpiece.

6) Create a Pinterest board to inspire your future dressmaking pursuits. You can use trends, eras, silhouettes, prints, shapes of Pinterest pins and make them entirely your own by adding personal touch.

 After having been taught the fundamentals of sewing you may now seek the divine wisdom of youtube for further tutorials!







Image from my Instagram

Outfit Details: selfmade skirt, Romwe blouse, Accessorize embroidered back pack and Clarks t-bar shoes

5 comments:

  1. Well done and good for you! I decided to start sewing a year ago and have completed several skirts and dresses so far. I still get frustrated with all the details involved and my lack of skill, but I press on and I can tell I'm getting better at it. I think you'll pick it up very quickly and, you're so creative, I can't wait to see what you make next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an amazing job on this skirt! Can't wait to see your next creation <3

    Andini xx | Adventures of an Anglophile 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such a beautiful outfit, I love your work! I love how you styled it too, the blouse, skirt and bag exude vintage vibes :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love so so much this outfit!! Specially the hijab!!
    Regards.
    Savecatch.com

    ReplyDelete